Oak Summit Lodge of Knights Ferry was instituted and the charter was granted on May 14, 1857, under the authority of J. K. Shafter, acting as Deputy Grand Master. Originally the meeting nights were on the first Saturday on or before the full of the moon. In the month of March of 1860, a committee of seven was appointed by the Master of the Lodge to procure such furniture as in their judgement was most needed for the Hall. The amount was not to exceed $250.00. However, the actual amount spent reached $251.50. Apparently there was no objection to the over expenditure. Most of those same furnishings are still in use in the Lodge today. One of the earliest orders of business, while the Lodge was under dispensation, was the taking of a note in the amount of $500.00 toward the erection of a Masonic Hall. However, the members of the Lodge continued to meet in the old school house in Knights Ferry for thirteen years. In December of 1868, it was decided that a committee be formed to investigate the possibility of negotiating with the Supervisors of Stanislaus County to erect a Masonic Hall on top of the County court House in Knights Ferry. Another committee was formed to ascertain the cost of a suitable site for the erection of its own building. The Supervisors gave their permission to allow the Masons to build on top of the Court House. However, other circumstances must have prevailed because it was decided not to build there, but rather to erect a “suitable house” on their own land. This latter decision proved to be wise. The Court House was eventually destroyed by fire and most assuredly would have destroyed the Lodge with it. In 1870 they completed the present hall we use today. As time passed, it became necessary to purchase various pieces of equipment and furniture for use in the Hall. In February of 1872, it was noted that one and a half dozen spittoons were purchased. In April of the same year, two pillars and a carpet for the Second Degree work were purchased. The carpet and the pillars are still in use, but not a single spittoon can be found today. On December 24, 1887, Oak Summit Lodge was presented with a “magnificent copy of the Holy Bible” by Brother O. C. Drew. The members of the Lodge expressed their heart-felt appreciation by an appropriate notation in the Lodge minutes. The same Bible has been used regularly in all of the Lodge’s activities ever since that date. Thus it was in the Spring of 1968, Grand Master Eugene S. Hopp suggested that Summit Lodge mine the necessary gold and create from it a new Grand Master’s lapel pin. The pin to be passed from Grand Master to Grand Master with the proceeding years. The pin itself was made by Oak Summit Lodge Past Master William L. Waggle. It was cast in sand made from clay of the same variety found in the clay grounds of Jordan. No modern tools were used and it was hand carved. An alloy of gold and brass creates the yellow background. The rose color is the result of the combining of copper, brass, and gold. A combination of gold and silver provides the mountings for the three diamonds. A close examination of the pin will disclose a number of Masonic symbols. If anyone should have the opportunity to meet the Grand Master and observe the pin, he will notice a small crack near the letter “C” in the word “California”. This crack is emblematic of the destruction of King Solomon’s Temple. It was with great honor and pride that the new Grand Master’s pin, made from pure California Mother Lode Gold, was presented to our Most Worshipful Grand Master at the 1968 Proceedings of the Grand Lodge. Probably from this historic event, it has been a tradition for many years in Summit Lodge for the members to mine for gold for a jewel to present to their outgoing Master.